The charity was originally founded in 1632 by Mr Elize Hele. The first stone of the almshouses was laid in 1895 and various blocks added in stages until the last was completed in 1931. The land in between the two blocks used to be a garden area until it was compulsory purchased in 1969 to allow road improvements to take place.
The Charity is run in accordance with schemes prepared by the Charity Commission. The first scheme was sealed on 11.8.1898 and various subsequent schemes made alterations to it. Another comprehensive scheme to bring matters up to date was sealed on
11.06.1999 and a copy can be seen in the Office.
The Charity is also a Registered Social Landlord with the Housing Corporation and a member of the Almshouse Association.
The Charity is administered by voluntary Trustees. Day-to-day administration is carried out by the Manager and Warden.
Almshouses are unfurnished dwellings usually specially designed with the needs of older people in mind. The aim is to provide convenient and comfortable accommodation in a setting, which allows residents to come and go as they please.
Almshouses provide security and residents are encouraged to make friends and to share a wider social life. Our main objectives in providing accommodation are:-
- to provide affordable, suitable and safe accommodation for people on low incomes aged over 60.
- to maintain that accommodation to the highest standards practicable.
- to provide Warden assistance that will respond appropriately in an emergency but encourage residents to live their lives as independently as possible.